Our History

St. John's church 1854-1855 - 1919
St. John's church 1854-1855 - 1919

1927

Coming Events

Saturday, July 16, 1927
The Ottawa Journal July 16th 1927

Osgoode Picnic in McEvoy's Grove. Ols Prescott road, via Greeley, Saturday, July 16. Busses leave corner Bank and Sunnyside avenue for grove at 2 p.m. city time.

Source: 
The Ottawa Journal

Annual Picnic Held By Osgoode Church

Monday, July 18, 1927
The Ottawa Citizen July 18th 1927

The annual picnic of St. John's Roman Catholic church. Osgoode, was held in McEvoy's Grove on Saturday afternoon and proved very successful. The event was featured by ideal weather and a splendid crowd gathered at the grove both afternoon and evening. The proceeds of the picnic were in aid of the church.

The picnic was under the management of the pastor of St. John's parish, Rev. A. J. Gorman, and a committee of the parishioners. A local orchestra was in attendance and rendered most enjoyable music. During the afternoon the races were run off and all events were well contested. One vault which A Houlahan won, The height was 9 feet 7 inches.

Throughout the grounds many booths were stationed and were well patronized. About six o'clock supper was served to about 150 people.

The results of the races were as follows: 100 yard dash, boys under 12 years: belt, won by Leo Blanchfield, donated by G. Cohen, Osgoode Station; 2. won by Lorne McEvoy donated by T. A. Hicks Metcalfe; 3. cuff links, won by Leslie McVoy, donated by Theresa Dewan, Osgoode Station; 100 yard dash, girls under 12 years: beads, won by, Irean Cleland donated by Desmarals and Robitaille Limited, Ottawa; 2, umbrella, won by, Marguerite Olarke. donated by O. Simpson, Metcalfe.

100 yard dash, boys over 12 years, $2.00 won by O. Adams, donated by Rev. Father Corkery, P.P.; 2. $1.00, won by A. Houlahan, donated by Rev. Father Corkery, P.P. South Glouchester. broad jump, gold watch chain, won by A. Houlahan. donated by McEvoy Bros. Ottawa; 2, belt won by S. McVeigh, donated by E. Rolston Metcalfe.

Source: 
The Ottawa Citizen

Splendid Attendance At Osgoode Picnic

Monday, July 18, 1927
The Ottawa Journal July 18th 1927
The Ottawa Journal July 18th 1927 part 2
The Ottawa Journal July 18th 1927 part 3
The Ottawa Journal July 18th 1927 part 4
Good High and Broad Jumping Feature of Sports.

All the fun of a fair was to be had at McEvoy's Grove, near Osgoode, Ont., on Saturday afternoon and evening, when crowds from all over the countryside, with many friends from Ottawa, took part in the annual picnic of St. John's Roman Catholic church, Osgoode.

Rev. Father A. J. Gorman, P.P. who had charge of the picnic, expressed satisfaction with the annual outing, and stated that the attendance was excellent considering the early morning threat of rain. There was an excellent midway, which was thronged from noon until late evening with merry-makers.

Many From Ottawa.

Many Ottawa people took a special bus from Bank and Sunnyside avenue, at 2.15 o'clock, and reached the picnic grounds before three o'clock.

Assisting Rev. Father Gorman on the grounds was Rev. Father Corkery, parish priest of South Gloucester, who was in charge of the sports programme which was the centre of attraction during the late afternoon. It was seen that Osgoode has some excellent athletes, and splendid exhibitions were given particularly in the jumps. In the broad jump a length of 19 1-2 feet was the winning span, while a height of 9 feet 7 inches was attained in the pole vault.

The annual social of the parish will take place tonight. Results of Saturday's sports follow --

Winners of Prizes.

100 yards dash, boys under 12 == 1, Leo Blanchfield, winning a belt donated by G. Cohen, of Osgoode Station; 2, Lorne McEvoy, winning a tie, donated by T. A. Hicks, Metcalfe; 3, Lesilie McEvoy, who won a set of cuff-links, donated by Thereesa Dewan, Osgoode Station.
100 yards, girls under 12 -- 1, Irene Cleland, winning a string of beads, donated by Desmarais and Robitaille, Ltd., Ottawa; 2, Marguerite Clarke, winning an umbrella, donated by O. Simpson, Metcalfe.
100 yards open -- 1, C. Adams, who won $2; 2, A. Houlahan, who won $1, both prizes being donated by Rev. Father Corkery.
Broad jump -- 1, A. Houlahan, winning a gold watch chain, donated by McEvoy Bros., Ottawa; 2, Stuart McVeigh, Ottawa., winning a belt, donated by E. Rolston, of Metcalfe.
High jump -- 1, Stuart McVeigh, jumping five feet, and winning $2, donated by A. Goulet, M.P.; 2, A. Houlahan, winning $1, donated by A. Goulet, M.P.
Pole Vault -- 1, A. Houlahan, jumping nine feet, seven inches, and winning $2, donated by Aurelien Belanger, M.L.A.; 2, L. Davis winning $1, donated by Mr. Belanger.

There was a closely contested tugo-war event in which a team of single men defeated a team of married men, and won a bag o' flower, donated by Patrick Shields, of Osgoode Station.

 

Source: 
The Ottawa Journal

1928

The First Public Picnic

Friday, February 24, 1928
The Ottawa Citizen Febuary 24th 1928
The Ottawa Citizen Febuary 24th 1928 part 2
The Ottawa Citizen Febuary 24th 1928 part 3
The Ottawa Citizen Febuary 24th 1928 part 4
The Ottawa Citizen Febuary 24th 1928 part 5
The Ottawa Citizen Febuary 24th 1928 part 6
The Ottawa Citizen Febuary 24th 1928 part 7
The Ottawa Citizen Febuary 24th 1928 part 8
The Ottawa Citizen Febuary 24th 1928 part 9
"Dance or Fight" was challenge scrap lasted hour and a half

This is the narrative - partly humorous, partly tragic -- of the first public picnic ever held in Osgoode township. it is fifty-six years since the event happened, and most of the people who took part in that picnic have long since gone to their rest. A few of those who were young at the time survive and they will no doubt recall the event with keen interest, for it had a real lively windup.

To Aid Orphans' Home.

The picnic in question had been gotten up to help pay for the (new) St. Patrick's Orphans' Home. A few weeks previous to the event, Patrick Baskerville, Neil McColl, Martin Battle and Michael O'Leary, all well known citizens of Ottawa had driven out from the city one Sunday in August and after mass addressed the congregation of St. John's R.C. church, on the old Prescott road in Osgoode, urging them to help the orphans. When the congregation asked how best they could help, the delegation had suggested a public picnic. None of the people of St. John's had ever been at a picnic, but did not like to admit their ignorance of how to conduct a picnic and promised to get one up. The delegation promised to attend the picnic and bring others, and went home happy. A committee of the males of the congregation was at once formed and got busy. There wasn't any ladies' committee. In those days in the country the women took no part in business of any sort, except to sign away their dower when a mortgage was being negotiated.

Three Requests for Public Picnic

When the committee got down to business they agreed on three requisites for a public picnic. The first was to be a charge for admission in order to help the home. They fixed that at twenty-five cents. The second must be dancing (band included). What good would a picnic be if the boys and girls could not dance? Third, there must be liquid refreshments. What would there be for the old chaps if there wasn't something to refresh the inner man?

Sports Left Out.

Nobody thought of suggesting sports. As an afterthought someone did suggest speeches and they were agreed to, on the understanding that they must not interfere with the dancing. The last week in September was fixed as the date for the big event. Soon afterwards a couple of the committee drove to town. hired McGillicuddy's brass band and arranged for the "refreshments." At Murphy Brothers' beer cellars they arranged for four 60-gallon barrels of beer. At another place they bought a 25 gallon keg of ginger wine. This was to be for the ladies, the boys and the girls. Then the committee went to a grocery store and bought: 4 boxes lemon biscuits. 1 box Abernathy biscuits, 1 box tea biscuits, 1 box ginger snaps, and 80 lbs. cheese. Old timers will remember that in the seventies these four brands of biscuits were all the go. In fact there was hardly any other kind offered for sale. At another store the committee purchased four dozen beer glasses. hoping to borrow other dozens of drinking vessels from the surrounding farmers. All these things were to be delivered the day previous to the picnic.

Andrew Doyle's Field.

A field owned by Andrew Doyle was chosen for the picnic. The day previous to the picnic every able bodied male member of St. John's took a day off to put things in shape for the next day.

Requisites.

For instance, a dancing platform had to be built and it must be generous in size. Logs for "sleepers" for the platform had to be cut and drawn. Lumber had to be drawn, both bought and borrowed, and balsam trees (a lot of them) had to be cut and drawn. The balsams were to be planted all around the platform, as both sun break and wind break.

All Day Picnic.

The picnic was to be an all day affair, the grounds to be opened at 9 a.m. Farmers began to arive as early as 8 a.m. but McGillicuddy's band did not put in an appearance till 10.30 a.m. About ten o'clock there came a demand for liquid refreshments and a gesture towards the beer barrels was made.

Opening the Barrels.

It so happened that no one on the grounds (not even the bandsmen) had ever opened a beer barrel or inserted a faucet. Somebody suggested that the proper way would be to stand the barrel on end. drive in the bung with an axe, insert the faucet and then lay the barrel sideways on the rest that had been made for the purpose. Mr. Michael McEvoy, of Lisgar street, then a youth of 21, was a witness of what followed.

Shower of Beer.

When the bung was smashed in, the disturbed contents (or six or seven gallons of them) shot into the air. covering those near by with hops and malt.

A Big Crowd.

By eleven o'clock the field was crowded. Never before nor since were so many people gathered in one place in Osgoode. The people came in hay wagons, in buggies., on horseback, in phaetons (from Ottawa). They came from Osgoode, Nepean, North Gower, Ottawa, Gloucester, Mountain, Russell and other points. The day was fine, both overhead and underfoot, and the weather was ideal for the last week in September. Dancing began about one o'clock. The morning had been taken up in making and renewing acquaintances, and in eating lunches which had been brought from home, and in speeches, and in a "drawing" for prizes. The dancing platform was 48 feet long and about 25 feet wide, and was full at the time. By four p.m. the beer and cheese were all done and nothing remained but a couple of boxes of biscuits.

 

Source: 
The Ottawa Citizen

1929

Enjoyable Picnic Held At Osgoode

Saturday, June 22, 1929
The Ottawa Journal 22 Jul 1929
The Ottawa Journal 22 Jul 1929 part 2
The Ottawa Journal 22 Jul 1929 part 3
Large Attendance Features Annual Event of St. John’s R.C. Parish

Despite counter - attractions in other parts of Ottawa district, there was a large attendance on Saturday afternoon and evening at the annual picnic of St. John’s Roman Catholic church, Osgoode, Ont., and everyone present had an enjoyable time.

The picnic was held at McEvoy’s Grove, near Osgoode, and a large representation from the city motored to join parishioners from all over the district. Rev. Father A. J. Gorman, P.P., who was in charge, greeted the visitors and many former members of St. John’s congregation were in the gathering.

During the afternoon booths did a roaring business and the ice-cream and soft drink stands were well patronized, as the day was sunny and very warm. Meals were served on the grounds by the ladies of the parish. Several parish priests from neighbouring churches joined the picnic crowd.

There was a softball game, horse-shoe pitching contest, and other sporting events to occupy the time, and some keen competitions were witnessed. Osgoode defeated Kenmore in a keenly-contested softball tussle, by 10 to 4.

Some of the best known track and field athletes of the district participated in the jumps and races held in connection with the picnic. Austin Houlihan again proved his metal at the jumps and vaults.
The line-up of the softball teams for the day’s game follows: Osgoode—C. Saunders, c.; J. C. Murphy, p.; A. Boyd, 1b.; E. Saunders, 2b.; William Boyd, s.s.; L. Taylor, r.f.; D. Wallace, c.f.; and A. Scobie, l.f. Kenmore-J. Good, c.; W. Woodside, s.; E. Kiscaid, 1b.; R. Little, 2b.; V. Loney, s.s.; D. Dewar, 3b.; L. Lemoine, r.f.; R. McNabb, c.f.; D. Wiehert, l.f. Umpires were R. Lemoine and R. Myers.
The general picnic committee, headed by Father Gorman, was composed of the church wardens, Phil McEvoy, Orphir Lemieux and Mike Daley. The sports committee of the afternoon was composed of J. J. O’Callaghan, Augustin McEvoy, J. G. Bloom and F. W. Rowse.
Results of the various track events follow:
Boys under 12 years—1. Joseph Rowan. (prize donated by E. Rolston. Metcalfe); 2. Alonso Grant, (prize by T. A. Hicks, Metcalfe); 3. George Mandis.
Boys over 12 years—1. Rody Ryan, (prize by O. C. Simpson, Metcalfe); 3. Walter Cleland, (prize by John Massy, Manotick); 3. Alonzo Grant.
Three-legged race—1. Kenneth McEvoy and Walter Cleland; 2. Alonzo Grant and Roddy Ryan; 3. Charles Daly and Clinton McEvoy.
Men’s high jump (open)—1. A. Houlihan, (prize by James Dewan), 5 feet, 5 inches; 2. L. Hammill, (prize by James Dewan); 3. E. Hammill.
Broad jump (open)—1. A. Scobie, (prize by Rev. A. J. Gorman), 18 feet; 2. E. Hammill, (prize by James Dewan), 3. L. Hammill.
Pole vault open)—1. A. Houlihan and E. Hammill, tied at 10 feet, 3 inches, (prize by Andrew Doyle Sr.,) 2. A. Scobie, (prize by James Dewan); 3. L. Hammill.
100 yard dash, (open)—1. E. Hammill, (prize by Andrew Doyle Sr.,); 2. A. Scobie, )prize by James Dewan); 3. L. Hammill.
Horseshoe-pitching—1. Mike Murphy and Eddie Chartrand, 50 points; 2. Earl Murphy and Lorne Taylor, 48 points; (prize by Douglas Wallace, Osgoode, and A. P. Wilson, Osgoode).

Source: 
The Ottawa Journal

Church Sexton dies in Hospital

Monday, November 25, 1929
The Ottawa Journal November 25th 1929

Francis Chaplin, sexton of St Mary’s Roman Catholic church. South Gloucester, for 23 years and of St. John's church. Orgoode, four years, died yesterday at a local hospital after an illness which had lasted four months Mr. Chaplin was one of the best known figures in Carleton county and was held in the highest esteem by every one.

Born in England 58 years ago, Mr. Chaplin had been in Canada for many years. He devoted almost his entire working life to the cer of the two churches, St Mary's and St John’s.

He was not married and has no relatives In Canada. The funeral will be held from McEvoy Bros’. funeral home. 471 MecLaren street, at 9 a.m., Tuesday to St. Mary's church. South Gloucester. for requiem high mass at 10 o'clock. Interment will be made in South Gloucester R. C. cemetery.

Source: 
The Ottawa Journal

1930

St. John's Church Picnic At Osgoode Is Great Success

Wednesday, July 2, 1930
The Ottawa Journal July 2nd 1930
The Ottawa Journal July 2nd 1930 part 2
The Ottawa Journal July 2nd 1930 part 3
The Ottawa Journal July 2nd 1930 part 4
The Ottawa Journal July 2nd 1930 part 5
Large Number Attend Outing of Parish, Many of R.C. Clergy Also Being Present.

Despite the unfavorable weather forecast which promised thundershowers, there was a very large attendance at the picnic held at Osgoode yesterday under the auspices of St. John's Roman Catholic Church, and the weather was for the most part faverable to the outing. which was judged a huge success.

Rev. Father A. J. Gorman, the parish priest, welcomed many members of the clergy from other parishes in the Ottawa district, and a host of old parishioners and friends returned to Osgoode to join the people of St. John's in a most happy occasion.

Fine Sports Program.

A program of sports was run off in the afternoon on the grounds adjoining the church, and refreshments were served under canvas by the busy dinner commitiee. Several times during the day a heavy shower of rain was threatened, and it did rain slightly on two occasions. The showers were not sufficient to dampen the enthusiasm of the picnickers, however, and did not interfere with the regular program of the day.

Among the visiting members of the clergy at the picnic were: Rev. Father F. Corkery, South Gloucester; Rev. Father Gerald Gorman, Huntley; Rev. Father O'Toole, Pakenham; Rev Father McCauley, Fallowfield; Rev. Father J. J. Burke, Ottawa; Rev. Father L. M. Curtin, Ottawa; Rev. Father P. C. Harris, Metcalfe; Rev. Father John O'Neil, Ottawa; and Rev. Father J. T. Brownrigg, Ottawa.

The sports events were keenly contested, particularly the high and vroad jumps, and one of the chief events of the day was the horseshoe pitching contest, in which eight local champions were matched.

Results of the sporting events follows: High jump (prizes donated by C. A. Seguin, M.L.A., K.C.) -- 1. G. O'Callaghan, 4 feet, 8 inches; 2, Lea Hammill.
Broad jump (prizes donated by Alex. Marion, Rockland) -- 1, Leo Hammell, 17 feet, one inch; 2, M. Finley.
100 yards dash, open (prizes donated by Alex. Marion, Rockland) -- 1, M. Finley; 2, H. Blanchfield.
Boys under 12 years, 50 yards dash (prizes donated by John Ralph, Osgoode) -- 1, Oliver McElroy; 2, Alonzo Grant.
Boys over 12 years, 50 yards dash (prizes donated by John Ralph, Osgoode) -- 1, Leo Blanchfield; 2, Walter Clelland.
Girls race, open, 50 yards dash (prizes donated by Mrs. Chapman, Osgoode) -- 1, Mary Kelly; 2, Mary Blanchfield.

In the horse-shoe pitching contest, the first place was won by Fred Thompson and Frank Dowser, as a team, and the second place went to Jack Hurley and V. Marion. Prizes in this event, also were donated by Alex. Marion, the Conservative candidate in Russell County.

Early in the afternoon C. A. Seguin and Alex. Marion visited the picnic at Osgoode, but were on their way to a political gathering at Limoges, and did not address the gathering.

Girls' Ball Game.

During the day an impromptu girls' ball game was held, with the following young ladies taking part: the Misses Margaret Callaghan, Mary Hogan, Mary Burke, Irene Carter, Alice Maloney, Agnes Scissons, Mary Foy and Brigid Neville.

Much of the success of the picnic was due to the energy and untiring effort of those on the various committees. Those responsible for the conduct of the picnic included:

Grounds committee, Thomas Grant, Michael Daley, Philip McEvoy, Hugh Clelland, John Doyle, Sr., Jack McEvoy, William Dewan, Howard Leahy, Ray McEvoy, Pat McEvoy, Leo McEvoy, David Lemieux, Thomas Shields, John H. McEwen, Charles Blanchfield, and William O'Brien.
Refreshment Committee, Thomas McEvoy, Stephen Herbert, Kenneth McEvoy, Lionel McEvoy, Anna Herbert, Lettie Dewan, and Leopold Lemieux.
Fancy work committee, John J. O'Callaghan, Ambrose Herbert, Mrs. J. J. O'Callaghan, Mrs. James Dewan, Ethel Grant, Mary Herbert, Frida Clelland, and Mildred Ralph.
Candy and fish-pond committee, Harold Clelland, Donald McEvoy, Leonard Blanchfield, Theresa Dewan, Miss McKiernan, Miss O'Neill, and Ida Burns.
Miscellaneous committee, Orphir Lemieux, Thomas Daley, Augustin McEvoy, Joseph Herbert, John Ralph.
St. John's Hall committee, James Dewan, Charles McGuire, and William Herbert.
Auto parking committee, Pat Shields, Thomas O'Rourke, John Hurley, Joseph Turner, John O'Rourke, George Burns, Andrew Doyle, Sr., Alonzo Daley, Joseph Carriere and Bernard Dewan.
Dinner committee, John R. Blanchfield, Ernie Blanchfield, Mr. and Mrs. Nap, Faubert, Miss Mary A. Doyle, Mrs. J. R. Blanchfield, John Doyle, Sr., Peter Daley, Michael Herbert, Roe McKenna, Mrs. Philip McEvoy, Mrs. J. H. McEwan, Mrs. Leo McEvoy, Mrs. Alois Herbert, Mrs. James Shields, Miss. Mary E. Doyle, Mrs. O. Lemieux, Mrs. J. Brisson, Mrs. George Burns, Mrs. Thomas Daley, Bruno Lemieux, Howard Blanchfield, Lorne McEvoy, Desmond McEvoy, Mrs. John McEvoy, Mrs. Patrick McEvoy, Mrs. Thomas O'Rourke, Mrs. Thomas Grant, Mrs. Ray McEvoy, Mrs. Augustine McEvoy, Mrs. John Gosson, Mrs. Hugh Clelland, Mrs. Thomas McEvoy, Mrs. Charles McGuire, Mrs. Bernard Dewan, Mrs. Pat. Shields, Mrs. John Devereux, Mrs. Chapman, Mrs. Brisson, Jr., Mrs. Brigid Shields, Miss N. Daley, Mrs. Joseph Carriere, Mrs. Alonzo Daley, Mrs. R. Mckenna, Micheal Murphy, Leo Blanchfield, Leslie McEvoy, Bernard McEvoy, Walter Clelland, Thomas O'Brien, Ray Herbert, and Al. Herbert.

 

Source: 
The Ottawa Journal

Church Swept by $20,000 Fire Near Osgoode

Wednesday, November 12, 1930
The Ottawa Journal November 12th 1930
The Ottawa Journal November 12th 1930 part 2
The Ottawa Journal November 12th 1930 part 3
The Ottawa Journal November 12th 1930 part 4
The Ottawa Journal November 12th 1930 part 5
The Ottawa Journal November 12th 1930 part 6
The Ottawa Journal November 12th 1930 part 7
The Ottawa Journal November 12th 1930 part 8
St. John the Evangelist R.C. Parish Scene Afternoon Outbreak

Fire of unknown origin caused damage estimated at around $20,000 to the Church of St. John the Evangelist, on the old Prescott road. three miles east of Osgoode, late yesterday afternoon. The blaze was first discovered about 4:15 o'clock by the family of Philip McEvoy. who immediately notified the sexton, Thomas McCarthy.

The Osgoode Fire Brigade, the first to reach the fire, was later reinforced by No. 10 chemical truck, sent out by the Ottawa Fire Department on orders of Chief J. E. Lemieux, and the Nepean Fire Brigade, under Fire Chief Richard Hayes.

Reached the Roof.

The fire started in the vestibule of the sacrist and worked its way through this portion of the edifice to the roof. Though several times the firefighters felt they had the situation in hand. the blaze proved to be particularly stubborn, and it was not until about nine o'clock that the fire was under control.

News of the fire spread rapidly throughout the entire district, and the road leading to the church was choked with automobiles. Many parishioners came long distances on foot to give what assistance they could, and willing hands salvaged everything movable in the church. including the three altars and the rows of pews.

Saved the Host.

Rev. Father P. C. Harris, of Metcalfe. formerly of Blessed Sacrament church, Ottawa, was one of the early arrivals on the scene, and undeterred by the flames, removed the sacred Host and Vessels to safety.

The Osgoode Fire Brigade arrived at the fire with a motor pumper. A huge zinc tank was placed adjacent to the church and a bucket brigade was hastily organized to replenish it with water from a creek about half a mike away. This enabled the fire-fighters to utilize the pumper throughout in their efforts to check the blaze.

No. 10 chemical truck arrived at the fire a little after six o'clock and final re-inforcement came from the Nepean Fire Brigade.

Will Use Parish Hall.

Rev. Father A. Gorman, parish priest, well-known as the former curate of St. Brigid's church here, stated last night that pending the rehabititation of the church, mass would be conducted in the parish hall. That damage was not heavier than it was he attributed to the fact that the church was semifireproof and offered considerable resistance to the flames.

The present stone church was built in 1918 at a cost of $30,000 to replace the old wooden church used up to that time. The stone church was dedicated by Mgr. Routhier, in the absence of the late Archbishop Gauthier. Rev. Father F. Corkery, now parish priest at St. Mary's, South Gloucester. was pastor at St. John's at that time. Largely through his efforts, the church damaged yesterday was erected to care for the spiritual needs of the many Roman Catholics in that district.

The presbytery which was in such danger of destruction last night is 10 years older than the church.

Rev. Father Gorman thanked all three fire brigades for their fine work before they returned to their respective stations.

 

Source: 
The Ottawa Journal

1931

Rebuilt Osgoode Church is Opened

Friday, February 13, 1931
The Ottawa Citizen Febuary 13th 1931
The Ottawa Citizen Febuary 13th 1931 part 2
The Ottawa Citizen Febuary 13th 1931 part 3
St. John the Evangelist Edifice is Scene of Impressive Ceremony.

The solomn reopening and blessing of St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church at Osgoode. which was damaged by fire last Armistice Day, was carried out yesterday in the presence of a notable gathering, ecclesiastical and lay. Mgr. J. H. Chartrand, vicar-general, blessed the beautiful new edifice. He represented His Grace the Archbishop of Ottawa.

The pastor Rev. A. Gorman welcomed the visiting clergy and expressed heartfelt thanks to all who had so unselfishly assisted in the rebuilding of the sacred structure.

Mass was celebrated by Rev. Father F. Corkery, South Glouchester, a former pastor of the church. Rev. M. J. Gorman, of Farrellton, acted as deacon, and Rev. M. T. O'Neill, of Richmond, as sub-deacon. Rev. Father John O'Neill, St. Brigid's Ottawa, delivered the sermon.

Among the clergy present were Mgr. J. H. Chartrand, vicar-general; Mgr. W. E. Cavanagh, Almonte; Canon T. P. Fay, St. Brigid's Ottawa, Rev. Father F. Corkery, South Glouchester; Rev. Father P. C. Harris, Metcalfe; Rev. Father M. P. O'Neill, Richmond; Rev. Father John O'Neill, St. Brigid's Ottawa; Rev. Father M. J. Gorman. parish priest at Farrellton, a brother of Rev. Father G. H. Gorman, of Huntley, a cousin of the latter; H. J. Morin. architect, of Noffkle, Morin and Sylvester; George Cashman, contractor; Michael McCloskey, foreman of works, and Robert Strang, decorator.

When the old structure was destroyed by fire, Rev. Father P. C. Harris of Metcalfe, formerly of the Blessed Sacrament church, Ottawa, disregarding the danger entailed, removed the sacred host and vessels to safety.

Rev. Father Gorman informed The Journal last night that it seemed fitting that the church should be reopened and blessed on the day that the Pope made his broadcast from Vatican City.

Source: 
The Ottawa Journal

1932

Choir Goes To Osgoode

Monday, October 3, 1932
The Ottawa Journal Oct 3rd 1932

Members of the Chancel Choir of St Brigid’s parish journeyed to Qsgoode yesterday to take part in the annual service for the dead which was held at the Roman Catholic cemetery, at 3.30 p.m. Rev. Father Frank Tierney, pariah priest of the church of St. John, Osgoode, presided over the ceremony, while the sermon was delivered by Rev. John J. O'Gorman, of Blessed Sacrament pariah, Ottawa.

Source: 
The Ottawa Journal