Following his ordination in 1914, Father Corkery served as a curate at St. Brigid's, Ottawa, until his appointment to St. John's and St. Brigid's in 1916. Father Corkery is credited with the considerable expansion of the parish during his years as pastor. Also, during this time, the frame church at Enniskerry was replaced by the present stone church. It was blessed on September 29, 1919. In 1923, Father Corkery was transferred to South Gloucester. He was named parish priest of St. Brigid's, Ottawa, in 1945, where he remained until his sudden death in 1956.