New Catholic Church for Osgoode Parish

Saturday, September 22, 1917
Father Corkery to Build Edifice on Ottawa-Prescott Road.

Special to The Journal.

OSGOODE, Out., Sept 22. — Work is to be started Shortly on a new Roman Catholic church to replace the edifice now used by the members of St John’s parish, on the Ottawa-Prescott road about 4 miles from Osgoode Station, four from Bray's Crossing and five from Metcalfe. It win go up near the site of the structure used at present, which was erected 63 ago at what was then Dawson, P.O., by the fathers and grandfathers, largely pioneers out from Ireland, of the present members of the parish.

The new church, which will be of stone, will be built on much more pretentious plans than was possibly ever dreamed of by the families living there when the parish was founded over half a century ago by the late Rev. Thomas O'Boyle. It will be adorned with a high tower and will have a comfortable and commodious sacristy.

Rev. Father Frank Corkery, the present rector, and his parishioners decided to go ahead with the new church rather reluctantly, favoring deferring a start until after the war. However, the ravages of time have rendered the present building unsuitable for worship and it is absolutely necessary that it be replaced. The possibility of being able to erect the church at less cost within a decade after hostilities conclude is looked upon as doubtful.

There are about 70 families in St. John's parish, the majority of them prosperous farmers. The church will be on the proposed route of the new Ottawa-Prescott highway. When it is built, the 17 or so miles will make a pleasant Sunday morning run, which will no doubt appeal to many Ottawa motor car owners who are former members of the parish.

Rev. Father Frank Corkery is well known in Ottawa, where he attended university and for a time was pastor of Blessed Sacrament church. He was also curate at St. Bridget's church for a time. He is getting the whole-hearted support of his parishioners in the erection of the new church, plans for which have bean approved by His Grace Archbishop Gauthier. Former rectors of the parish were Fathers James McGowan, Edward Vaughan, Dawson, P. McGouey, T. J. Cole, Constantineau, W. McCauley and Brownrigg.

The Ottawa Journal September 22nd 1917
The Ottawa Journal September 22nd 1917
The Ottawa Journal September 22nd 1917
Source: 
The Ottawa Journal